Trump Hails Makkah Defence Pact as “Bold First Step”
Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye unite under new Makkah Defence Pact as Trump calls it a bold first step
Trump – (Special Correspondent/Web Desk) – US President Donald Trump has praised the Makkah Defence Pact, calling the new security agreement between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye a “big, bold, and important first step” for the Middle East.
In a post shared on his Truth Social platform on Monday, Trump said he was pleased to see the three nations come together on such a major move.
He wrote that the pact shows how countries in the region are finally learning to stand on their own feet when it comes to defence.
Trump added that the deal proves the Middle East is slowly coming together, with nations now able to protect themselves in a far more meaningful way than before.
The US president also sent his congratulations to the leaders of all three countries for reaching this milestone agreement.
What Is the Makkah Defence Pact?
The Makkah Defence Pact was signed on August 7 during a special summit held in the holy city of Makkah Al-Mukarramah.
Three top leaders were present at the signing ceremony. Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan all put pen to paper on the historic deal.
At its core, the pact works much like NATO’s famous Article 5 rule. It simply means that if any one of the three countries is attacked, the other two will treat it as an attack on themselves too.
This kind of collective defence promise is rare in the region and shows just how serious these nations are about standing together.
Why Now? The Regional Backdrop
The timing of this pact is no accident. Tensions in the Middle East have been running high ever since the US and Israel launched military action against Iran back in February.
That conflict has pulled in several Gulf nations and even disrupted shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s busiest oil routes.
Against this backdrop, regional powers have been actively looking for ways to strengthen their security ties and protect themselves from further fallout.
The Makkah Defence Pact appears to be a direct response to this uncertain and tense environment.
Not Pakistan’s First Defence Deal
Interestingly, this trilateral pact did not come out of nowhere. Just a year earlier, Pakistan had already signed a separate mutual defence agreement with Saudi Arabia.
That earlier deal also promised that any act of aggression against either country would be seen as an attack on both.
The new Makkah pact essentially builds on that existing friendship and takes it one step further by bringing Turkiye into the fold as well.
A few days after the summit wrapped up, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif addressed a federal cabinet meeting and offered his own take on the agreement.
He made it clear that the pact was never meant to be aggressive or threatening toward any other nation.
Instead, he explained that the whole purpose behind the deal was to promote peace, security, and shared prosperity across the wider region.
His comments were echoed earlier by Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Ishaq Dar, who spoke about the agreement on social media platform X.
Dar Calls Pact Open to All
Dar stressed that the Makkah Defence Pact is purely defensive in nature and remains open to any country willing to support its core values.
He described the accord as a reflection of the deep, brotherly bond shared between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Turkiye.
According to Dar, the pact is not something that came together overnight. It is the result of years of careful discussion and coordination between the three governments.
He said the ultimate goal is simple: strengthen strategic cooperation and jointly tackle shared peace and security challenges in the region.
Could Egypt Be Next to Join?
The Makkah Defence Pact may not stay limited to just three countries for very long.
Turkish President Erdogan recently hinted that Egypt could soon become part of this growing alliance.
Speaking to Al Jazeera during an interview for the show Al Muqabala, Erdogan explained that Cairo joining the pact is one of several options currently being explored.
He told host Ali Al Dafiri that the agreement has already sent a powerful message to the rest of the world.
Erdogan further confirmed that the door remains wide open for additional members, and Egypt’s involvement is very much on the table.
A Bigger Message for the Region
What makes this pact stand out is not just the promise of mutual defence, but the symbolism behind it.
Three influential Muslim-majority nations, each with their own unique strengths, coming together under one security umbrella sends a strong signal to the wider world.
Saudi Arabia brings its massive oil wealth and regional influence. Turkiye contributes a powerful, well-equipped military. Pakistan adds its long history of strategic ties and nuclear capability.
Together, this combination creates a bloc that regional analysts believe could reshape how Middle Eastern security is handled in the years ahead.
For now, all eyes remain on how this pact will actually function on the ground.
Questions around joint military exercises, coordination mechanisms, and how new members like Egypt might eventually join are still being worked out.
What is clear, though, is that the Makkah Defence Pact has already grabbed global attention, with even the US president publicly weighing in with praise.
Whether this alliance grows stronger or stays limited to its founding three members, one thing is certain: it marks a meaningful shift in how Middle Eastern nations are choosing to protect themselves going forward.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.