Trump South Korea Drills Cut After Iran Refusal
President Ties Trump South Korea Drills Decision to Iran Row and Kim Jong Un Ties
Trump vs South Korea – (Special Correspondent/Web Desk) – President Donald Trump has ordered a big cut to the Trump South Korea drills that started this week. He gave the order to the Pentagon just hours before the exercises began on Monday. Trump shared his decision in a post on his social media site, Truth Social.
The drills are known as Ulchi Freedom Shield. They are set to run from August 17 to August 27. About 18,000 South Korean troops are taking part this year. The training usually covers things like drone defense, GPS jamming, and cyber attacks.
Trump said he is “not happy” that the United States agreed to join these drills in the past. He called them costly. He also said they send the wrong message to North Korea. In his post, he praised his bond with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. He called North Korea “unthreatening and respectful” during his time as president.
The timing of the announcement raised eyebrows. Trump linked his frustration to a separate issue involving Iran. He said he had asked South Korea’s president to help with efforts to stop Iran’s nuclear program. According to Trump, the answer was a simple “No thanks.”
He called the Iran comment “somewhat unrelated” but chose to mention it anyway. This has led many to believe the drill cuts are tied to South Korea’s stance on Iran, not just cost or diplomacy with North Korea.
South Korea’s Ministry of Defence responded quickly. Officials said the drills would go on as planned. There was no sign that Seoul planned to change its schedule because of Trump’s post.
This is not the first time Trump has pushed to reduce these joint drills. During his first term, similar cuts happened after his 2018 summit with Kim Jong Un in Singapore. Back then, U.S. and South Korean forces scaled back large-scale training as a goodwill move toward North Korea.
North Korea has always disliked these drills. Its officials often call them a rehearsal for war. Last week, before this year’s drills even started, North Korea tested a ballistic missile. It flew toward the Sea of Japan. This was the second such test in just over a week.
U.S. military officials have also raised concerns about North Korea’s growing skills. They point to lessons learned from North Korean troops fighting in Russia’s war in Ukraine. These troops have picked up experience in drone warfare, cyber attacks, and jamming technology.
There is also a link to the war in Ukraine. Ukrainian officials said last week that missiles made in North Korea were used in a deadly Russian strike. The attack hit a steel plant in Zaporizhzhia and killed seven workers. Russia’s Zircon hypersonic missile was also used in that same strike.
The White House has not shared more details about how deep the cuts to the Trump South Korea drills will go. The Pentagon also stayed silent when asked for comment.
For now, the drills are moving ahead as scheduled, even with fewer resources than planned. Experts say the coming days will show how far Trump is willing to go in reducing the U.S. military presence tied to these joint exercises.
The situation remains fluid. South Korea’s government has not confirmed any long-term changes to the alliance. Analysts believe more details could come as the drills continue through the end of August.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.