Trump Carney Trade Deal Pauses New Canada Tariffs

Three-day tariff pause opens door to wider US-Canada agreement

Trump vs Canada – (Special Correspondent/Web Desk) – A last-minute Trump Carney trade deal has pushed back new 50% tariffs that were set to hit Canadian goods this week. The pause came just hours before the duties were due to start.

US President Donald Trump shared the news late on Tuesday night. He said in a social media post that the two countries had reached an agreement, though the paperwork still needs to be finalized.

The tariffs would have covered close to $20 billion worth of Canadian goods. Products like wine, dairy, lumber, and hockey equipment were all on the list.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney responded about an hour later. He said talks had made real progress, but added that some work still remains before a full deal is signed.

This was the second time this week that Trump and Carney spoke directly. Their earlier call happened just a day before, showing how close both sides were pushing to avoid a trade clash.

Weeks of quiet, behind-the-scenes talks led up to this moment. Canadian officials had been in Washington for days, meeting with senior US trade leaders to sort out sticking points.

Auto Tariffs Were a Major Hurdle

One of the toughest issues in the talks was auto tariffs. Industry sources say this topic slowed down progress more than almost anything else.

Both sides reportedly discussed lowering tariffs on Canadian vehicles. The idea being floated was cutting the rate from 25% down to around 15%, with room for further cuts based on how much US-made content is used in each vehicle.

There was also disagreement over how to count that content. The US wanted only American-made parts to count toward tariff relief. Canada pushed for a wider view that included Mexican and Canadian parts too, in line with regional trade rules.

Just before the pause was announced, the US Commerce Department released updated rules for automakers. These rules affect how companies certify their US content levels for tariff deductions.

Under the new system, this certification will only need to happen once a year instead of twice. However, automakers must complete this process by the end of September to qualify for the new yearly cycle starting in December.

Keystone Pipeline Back in the Conversation

In his announcement, Trump also brought up the Keystone XL Pipeline. This major oil project was cancelled years ago following strong opposition from environmental and Indigenous groups.

Trump hinted the pipeline could be revived, though he gave no further details. This isn’t the first time the idea has come up between the two leaders. Energy cooperation has been part of earlier discussions as well.

Why This Matters for Businesses

Trade experts warn that new tariffs could hurt several Canadian industries. Lumber, wine, and dairy producers were seen as some of the most vulnerable.

Business leaders say the uncertainty has already been costly. Companies have held back on hiring and investment for over a year, unsure of what trade rules might look like next.

The head of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce noted that billions of dollars in goods, previously untouched by tariffs, were suddenly at risk. She said businesses have been stuck in limbo, unable to plan ahead with any real confidence.

What Canadian Officials Are Saying

Canada’s trade minister and its top negotiator have spent days in Washington working through the details. They met for nearly two hours with senior US trade officials earlier this week.

US officials have raised several concerns during the talks. These include Canadian tariffs that followed earlier US measures, some provinces refusing to sell American liquor, and Canada’s dairy supply system.

A Deal Still Taking Shape

Even with the pause now in place, many details remain unclear. Trump did not confirm whether the new tariffs would be cancelled completely once documents are signed.

Carney, on the other hand, was more careful in his language. He confirmed the pause would last until the end of the week, giving both sides a short window to finish the agreement.

A source close to the talks said Canadian negotiators had explored every possible option in case a deal didn’t come together. This included government support for affected industries and even the possibility of pausing trade talks altogether.

But the source also said there was hope on the Canadian side that the US wanted this deal just as much as Canada did.

For now, businesses on both sides of the border are watching closely. The short pause offers some breathing room, but nothing is fully settled yet.

If the documents are finalized, this could mark one of the most significant trade updates between the two countries in recent years. If not, tariffs could return quickly, and industries already under pressure may face even tougher conditions.

Either way, the coming days will be critical in shaping what comes next for US-Canada trade relations.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.