CM KP Gandapur Blames External Forces for Violence in Kurram
PESHAWAR: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur has accused hostile international powers of fueling violence in Kurram, a region grappling with long-standing unrest. He warned that non-state actors are exploiting the conflict to stir chaos across the country.
The CM stressed that while land disputes are common, the scale of the violence in Kurram is unusual and requires urgent attention. “Such conflicts are often sparked, but not entire villages rise up against each other,” Gandapur said, implying that external forces might be involved in exacerbating the situation.
Kurram has been plagued by violence for decades, and a recent surge in fighting has left over 150 dead since November. The latest attack on a convoy carrying supplies to Kurram resulted in the deaths of seven people, including five security personnel and two armed attackers. Over 20 others, including drivers and security personnel, were injured in the assault, which took place at multiple locations across the Lower Kurram tribal district.
In response to the escalating violence, Gandapur assured the government’s commitment to restoring peace in the region. “The KP government has allocated Rs2 billion for CCTV installation and is setting up security posts along key roads,” he said. He also emphasized that strict action would be taken against those behind the unrest, with head money placed on individuals causing instability.
Read more: CM KP Gandapur Insists on February 8 Protests Despite No Approval
Despite a ceasefire agreement brokered by the government and military, repeated attacks have continued, including a deadly ambush on a convoy of vehicles last month. Gandapur vowed to hold those responsible accountable, promising that there would be no leniency for those attempting to destabilize Kurram.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.