Islamabad -Rana Talha Akhtar:
The National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) on Monday decided to tighten the restrictions given the deteriorating coronavirus situation across the country.
Federal Minister for Planning, Development, and Special Initiatives Asad Umar on Twitter said: “In the NCOC meeting this morning we decided to increase restrictions of activities contributing to a sharp increase in COVID-19 positivity.”
The local administrations across the country have been directed to tighten the implementation of SOP’s and crack down on violations that are taking place, the minister said.
The forum met early morning today to decide the future course of action. Pakistan is currently grappling with the third wave of coronavirus which is said to be more lethal and dangerous by the health authorities.
3,669 new cases reported
As of March 22, the total number of COVID-19 cases in the country rose to 630,471 with 3,669 new infections.
Throughout the country, 43,498 tests were conducted during the past 24 hours, while 20 people succumbed to the disease.
About 583,538 people have recovered from the infection in the country so far.
The positivity ratio stands at 8.43% today.
‘Pakistan will not go under complete lockdown’
Meanwhile, Federal Minister for Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Asad Umar had dismissed rumours that the country was heading towards a “complete lockdown”.
Rumours of authorities contemplating a “complete lockdown” across the country were discussed.
The NCOC chief had shot down the rumours.
“Complete lockdown is not the solution,” he said. “We tried to explain that to people during the first wave [of the coronavirus] but they did not understand. You cannot shut down the entire country and steal people’s livelihoods,” added the minister.