QUETTA: Two policemen were among the seven victims of an explosion that occurred near the Quetta Press Club located on Shahrah-i-Adalat on Monday, confirmed Quetta Deputy Inspector General Abdul Razzaq Cheema.
According to Cheema, 21 others have also been injured in the incident. He added that so far, the blast “seems to be a suicide attack”.
Police confirmed that the blast damaged nearby building and vehicles. Police and security forces cordoned off the area and are conducting an investigation into the incident.
The injured have been shifted to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. Relief efforts are being carried out in the area. The nature and impact of the blast is being ascertained by police.
Two policemen identified as Abdul Rasool s/o Abdul Majeed; Mohammad Zaman s/o Muhammad Hasan, and one Levies personnel M.Hameed s/o Abdul Ghafoor were among the dead.
The civilians who lost their lives during the explosion were including Muhammad Naseem s/o Abdul Haleem, Manzoor Ahmad s/o Abdul Sanoor, Ahmad Ullah s/o Abdullah khan and Hazrat Ali s/o Nasrullah.
The blast took place as a demonstration was ongoing near the press club. Several vehicles parked in the vicinity have also been damaged due to the impact of the blast.
Meanwhile, Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan directed the IGP to submit a report within the next 24 hours.
Emergency has been imposed in Quetta’s civil hospital, while senior doctors have been called. The nature and impact of the blast is being ascertained by police.
Prime Minister Imran Khan expressed his grief at the loss of lives in the Quetta blast. The premier also directed authorities to provide the injured with the best medical treatment.
Balochistan Governor Amanullah Khan Yasinzai also condemned the blast and said: “Such a cowardly attack can’t weaken the morale of the nation and the security forces.”
“Foolproof security measures should be ensured across the province for the protection of the masses.” He directed the provincial health department to provide the best possible medical facilities to the injured victims, and also prayed for their recovery. A senior police officer who had asked not to be named had told that the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.